Saturday, March 31, 2007

O RLY?

Minutes away from the start of the Final Four games, and I can't decide what food I want delivered! I'm so sick of pizza, but that severely limits my options for food. Hopefully I figure out what I want by the end of this blog entry :P

- Lakers' coach Phil Jackson will reportedly be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. I can't say that I'm surprised by this decision. In fact, I was wondering when he was going to be elected; I wasn't aware there was a 25-year (of service) rule before a coach could be eligible for the HOF. Let's see...900+ wins, nine NBA titles, three three-peats...yeah, that sounds like HOF-material. I don't want to hear the argument that Jackson has his nine rings thanks to MJ, Scottie, Shaq, and Kobe. Doug Collins and Del Harris couldn't win rings with these guys. Neither coach turned a bunch of spare parts into big-time complementary players. Props to you, Coach Jax.

(just to stray away from the topic slightly...I'm putting the over/under on the number of stupid comments made by Billy Packer tonight at 2.5, an d I'm taking the over. If there was a way for me to mute the TV when Packer talks, and un-mute it when Jim Nantz talks, I'd pay money for that technology)

- Ricky Williams wants back into the league. Am I supposed to be surprised by this decision? He's gotta make money somehow to pay for his medicinal marijuana. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the league, and the Dolphins, allow him to re-join the team. Even though he is 30, he could still be a productive runner as a backup to Ronnie Brown. Then again, with a new coach, perhaps Cam Cameron might not want the headache that is Ricky Williams on the team. If that's the case, do not be shocked to see Williams join another team, either this year or the year following. I still cannot fathom what the Saints (and Mike Ditka) were thinking when they traded somewhere in the vicinity of a thousand draft picks for the rights to draft Williams. Herschel Walker thinks the Saints gave up too much for Williams.

A few random Final Four thoughts, as the opening tip is about to happen:

- If Oden puts up a stinker today against Georgetown, could he conceivably drop down further than #2? Would he decide to come back for another season, which I believe would be a wise move? Great article by ESPN's Gene Wojciechowski about this topic, by the way. I see a lot of Dikembe Mutombo in Oden, minus the offense, and that's saying something--considering the Mutombo's offense includes that ugly hook shot and offensive rebounds. Oden is about 99% likely to leave after this year (as if any of us could pass up the tens of millions of dollars he'll get as a top-2 pick), but I have to imagine his development will suffer if he's stuck on the bench of a team like Memphis, Boston, or Milwaukee. By the way, as I post this blog entry, Oden already has two fouls. I've noticed that his footwork is terrible at best; most of the shots come simply because he can shoot over his opponent. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the guy averages 1.0 offensive fouls a game; I don't remember an OSU game I've seen in which he didn't commit a charge. CBS just posted a graphic saying that Oden has averaged 4.3 fouls/game in his last three!

- OSU 14, Georgetown 7, 10 minutes left.
OSU's on an 11-2 run since Oden left. Exhibit A that the most important OSU player is PG Mike Conley Jr. and not Oden.

- Gators-Hoyas is the overwhelming choice for Monday's championship game, according to ESPN experts. I'm surprised that UCLA actually got picked by one guy (Jay Bilas).

Ok, I'm not sure how OSU is up 7 on Georgetown, and it's probably due to my posting this blog entry. How the hell does Bill Simmons keep such an accurate running diary of games he watches?!? And darnit, I haven't decided what I want to eat yet :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home