Wednesday, June 20, 2007

IMBC Drag, And Unfortunately, Even More Kobe Bryant Talk

- Hank said it about a week ago, and Amy said it last night. Now it's my turn: I'm starting to get sick and tired of blogging every day. I really wanted this blog to be a four-to-five times a week blog, consisting of 3-4 shorter entries and a longer weekend commentary.

(I know, I know...why don't I just quit? Because I wanna win, dammit!)

I think next year--assuming there is a next year--the IMBC should increase the minimum word count to 500 or so, and give every blogger one "pass" (in case s/he should forget to blog one day, or just didn't feel like blogging that particular day).

Sometimes I wish Hank didn't reinstate me back into the contest, after that little "technicality" :P

- Ok, I gotta make a couple quick comments about the latest wrinkle in the Kobe Bryant/Lakers saga, if only because the story is too ridiculous to not talk about for a second straight day. Ripped from SI.com, here is the transcript of that amateur video I referenced in my last blog entry, where Kobe ripped the Lakers and Andrew Bynum:
"Andrew Bynum? What the f---?" Bryant says in disgust. "Are you kidding me? Andrew Bynum? F---ing ship his ass out. Are you kidding me? We're talking about Jason Kidd. But they didn't even want to do that. Now we're here in this f---ed up position."
Wow. This is something I'd expect to hear from an out-of-control teen on the Maury Povich show, right before it is announced that s/he has been sent to teenage boot camp.

Back when the trade demand was first announced, I had Kobe's back. I said that I wanted to see Kobe leave with guns blazing:
When Allen Iverson whined his way out of Philly, he did so while insisting that it was best for everyone to go their separate ways. I hope Kobe doesn't offer the same BS; I want him to demand a trade, pointing fingers at Kupchak on the way out the door!
but never would I have expected this whine-fest! Cursing about the Lakers brass and your young center behind their backs? And what, exactly, is Kobe going to get out of this? What team is going to be interested in taking this baby off the Lakers' hands?

(Probably fifteen teams or so...)

Talk about completely obliterating all your bridges! Couldn't Kobe have waited until after he got traded to start taking shots at the Lakers? Randy Sklar, forum panelist on Jim Rome is Burning, made an awesome suggestion today: he said that the Lakers should trade Kobe to the Clippers. A trade to the Clippers accomplishes the following:
  1. A Lakers-Clippers swap will keep Kobe in LA, to face the wrath of angry LA fans 43 times a year.
  2. Such a trade will send Kobe to another awful team--once the Lakers gut the Clippers for talent in exchange for Kobe--forcing Kobe to eventually whine and cry about another franchise.
Of course, this will never happen, since Kobe has a no-trade clause, and I doubt he'll go to the Clippers.

What's really stunning about this whole situation is the fact that he had to spend years to rebuild his image after the rape trial in Colorado, only to obliterate it again! The guy's image restoration was remarkable; he was labeled one of the NBA's good guys, he was able to reconcile with Phil Jackson, and he finally seemed to have grown up. And now this? Paris Hilton's whine in court thought Kobe was acting childish.

I couldn't say it any better, JT the Brick. The headline and the sub-headline say it all. Kobe, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Tomorrow, I swear I will not blog about sports :P

3 Comments:

At 11:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: reinstating. poor hank, damned if you do, damned if you don't...

 
At 11:33 PM , Blogger ungsunghero said...

LOL!

 
At 1:41 PM , Blogger h said...

Haha, ain't that the truth? But for the record, Tim Ritchie is also an IMBC organizer. I offered the job to a few people at the beginning of the competition and he was the only one who stepped up. We discuss all non-deadline-related disqualifications and reinstatements before taking action. Should I somehow become incapacitated, he has FTP access to the IMBC site and could continue updating the rankings.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home