Thursday, June 28, 2007

A Nine Day Weekend, (I've Got) Too Much TV On My Hands, And A Competitive Eating Injury

It looks like the second half of my poker story might have to wait another day, as well as my NBA Draft Thoughts.

Hell, that could be two separate blog entries.

(I suppose my readers that aren't sports fans will like that.)

BTW, I just realized that the Fourth of July is going to be on a Wednesday this year! I can't wait! Barbecues, fireworks, booze, tons of food, and family (I guess).

Also, since the Fourth is going to be on a Wednesday, that means employers will have to deal with seven straight business days of little or no productivity:

* We all know nobody does any real work on Fridays.
* The same goes for Mondays.
* Next Tuesday precedes the Fourth, so workers will treat that as a Friday.
* Thursday follows the Fourth, so that is like a Monday.
* Then, of course, there's Friday, and the following Monday.

In that case, enjoy the nine-way "weekend" :P

- I've got so many TV shows to watch! In no particular order, here is the list: CSI Season 7, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit (yeah, one day, I plan on watching ALL episodes of this show), The Riches, and Psych. Worse, that list will probably grow as I continue to find shows to add.

Too many shows, and not nearly enough time to watch everything. Maybe I should just stop sleeping.

(It IS a nine day weekend, after all...)

- So the reigning Nathan's International Hot Dog Eating Champion, Takeru Kobayashi, is doubtful with an arthritic jaw (or, if this was a for a football game, his injury would read Kobayashi (doubtful, jaw)).

I don't know what the best part of this story is. Is it the fact that there's speculation that Kobayashi is ducking his biggest "rival," Joey Chestnut? Is it the fact that the six-time hot dog eating champion is in danger of not even being able to defend his crown? Or is it the fact that ESPN is comparing this injury to "like Tiger Woods tearing his rotator cuff, or LeBron James blowing out his knee"?

I wonder where the "sport" of gluttony...er...competitive eating now ranks in terms of popularity here in the States. It sure sounds like competitive eating has passed hockey. Has it passed baseball as well?

I'm sure many people have already covered this, but how is an American, being part of the fattest nation in the world, not the champion of competitive eating??? And how are there not more big-boned Americans involved in this sport? When will colleges start offering scholarships to individuals that want to pursue competitive eating?

If this idea hasn't been patented yet, I'm going to create the World Series of Competitive Eating: a 14-day affair, being held in a Vegas buffet, with each event involving a different food. Or how about the World Competitive Eating Federation? We can break it down to different weight classes, and even introduce Tag Team Competitive Eating. Like in wrestling, you could tag in your partner whenever you need a break! How is this not a good idea?

Does anyone have Vince McMahon's phone number?

Until next time!

2 Comments:

At 12:32 AM , Blogger h said...

Competitive eating... I can't believe anyone actually follows that stuff. How can something that dumb have fans? Why are people interested in this but not, say, "competitive jump roping"?

 
At 12:40 AM , Blogger ungsunghero said...

It's ridiculous. Heck, ESPN2 airs the Nathan's hot dog eating contest every year!

No word if it's going to be on HDTV this year.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home