Monday, July 30, 2007

Post-IMBC Entry #1: The Future of UngsungBlog, And Baroid Bonds Visiting LA,

- It was nice to not have to blog for nearly 36 straight hours. I gotta thank Hank for allowing me to partake in the IMBC, as well as his kind words about my blog (you really enjoyed reading my Michael Vick rants, eh?)

And Amy, don't doubt the Ung-hex! Just because I'm on a "cold" streak lately--the Yankees have been hot recently, and the Dodgers have not--that doesn't mean the Ung-hex is a fluke! Stop doubting the Ung-hex before your negative energies begin to cancel its effects out! :P

- I said I was going to go into detail about what caused me to be eliminated from the IMBC. That will have to wait.

(I promise it won't have to wait as long as my poker story, or my thoughts on Tom Donaghy.)

- So in the next few days, I'm probably going to kick Blogger to the curb, and I'm going to start using Wordpress. Let's hope I don't royally screw up!

Also, I'm trying to figure out a consistent format for the UngsungBlog. Do I want to make it a pure sports blog, or should I keep it the mishmash of random thoughts and random topics that it currently is?

- One other thing before I get to the big topic at hand: it was very sad to hear, this morning, of the passing of San Francisco 49ers HOF coach Bill Walsh to leukemia. He was 75. Walsh won three Super Bowls with the Niners in only ten seasons, and his name is synonymous with the West Coast Offense. Perhaps his biggest contribution to football is the number of current and former coaches linked to Walsh and his 49ers teams:
Even a short list of Walsh's adherents is stunning. Seifert, Mike Holmgren, Dennis Green, Sam Wyche, Ray Rhodes and Bruce Coslet all became NFL head coaches after serving on Walsh's San Francisco staffs, and Tony Dungy played for him. Most of his former assistants passed on Walsh's structures and strategies to a new generation of coaches, including Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden, Brian Billick, Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, Gary Kubiak, Steve Mariucci and Jeff Fisher.
I was never a 49ers fan; in fact, you could probably go ahead and say that I hated them. However, I could not help but respect the 49ers and what they accomplished during the 80s and early 90s.

- It looks like Baroid Bonds is heading to LA and SD, one home run behind Hank Aaron for the record. Let me be brief by saying this: Grady Little, don't you dare pitch to this guy! He better not break the record here in LA!

Now, this is not a racial issue. Believe it or not, this is not a steroids thing; even with all the "evidence" we have on the guy--the fact that he got better in his late 30s, the rapid increase in size of his body, the lack of neck, etc.--I'm of the opinion that Bonds is probably guilty in the minds of many, but until he is officially indicted, I will consider him the record holder (once he breaks it, that is). This is about Barry being a member of the San Francisco Giants, and a world-class jerk, who only deserves the record because he's been a damn good player for a number of years.

If he does break the record here in LA, I would love to see the Dodger fans in attendance turn their backs on him as he rounds the bases. For some, that could be their way of not acknowledging a record that appears to be obtained via cheating. For me, and maybe some others, it will be my way of respect (of which there is none) of a guy who I really don't want to see break Aaron's record.

Of course, knowing Dodger fans, they're going to boo the living hell out of Bonds, and there's a possibility that some fans might do some really stupid things. I can hope all I want that that does not happen, but I can't help but expect some fan to do something really idiotic to make the other contingent of Dodger fans (those with some class!) look really bad.

I wouldn't mind so much if Bonds get a single home run, but please, please, Grady, don't give him a chance to break the record. I don't care if it's the ninth inning of the last game of the series, and we're up by 10 runs! Do not let Bonds break the record here in LA! Let San Diego deal with the guy.

1 Comments:

At 8:01 PM , Blogger h said...

Yup, the Vick stuff was good.

Re: format for new WordPress blog: My recommendation: Use categories. Flag entries with "sports" and "non-sports" categories. Then link the category views in the sidebar. That way, new visitors see everything and the ppl that only want the sports or non-sports content can have that too. Eh?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home