Thursday, July 05, 2007

Name All The U.S. Presidents, Hot Dog Eating Championship

- Apparently BigCrumbs.com charges a 2% "processing fee" when sending commission payments out to members. From the FAQ:

Yes. A processing fee of 2% of the payment amount with a $1.00 cap will be deducted from each payment that we send to you.

This is the fee that PayPal charges BigCrumbs.com. We do not make money from this fee.

I never knew that it costs money to send money via PayPal. Drat! There goes $0.16 off my commission payment! :P

At least BigCrumbs.com is quick with crediting me for a purchase. The longest they took to credit me for a transaction was a week. I can't say that about the other cash back sites I currently use.

- (from Digg) Can you name all 43 U.S. Presidents?

I didn't come close. I got 28 correct out of 43--even less, when you consider that typing in "Adams" or "Bush" earns you two points each--and there were a few gimmies I completely missed (how in the world I forgot about Dwight D. Eisenhower is beyond me).

I'm ashamed of myself. Either that, or I didn't care to remember the names of every freaking President. In fact, I don't recall ever having to do this in school!

Now, if the test was to name all fifty states and their capitals, that's a different story. I could probably do THAT in ten minutes.

- USA! USA! USA! The reigning six-time Nathan's Hot Dog eating championship, Takeru Kobayashi, has gone down to American Joey Chestnut! Chestnut downed a record 66 hot dogs and buns en route to the title of "Biggest Glutton."
In a gut-busting showdown that combined drama, daring and indigestion, Joey Chestnut emerged Wednesday as the world's hot dog eating champion, knocking off six-time winner Takeru Kobayashi in a rousing yet repulsive triumph.
Well written, I must say. No, I did not get up early this morning to watch the event. And no, I don't know if it aired on ESPN-HD. All I know is that we can put this victory alongside the USA Hockey team's triumph of 1980, Kirk Gibson's home run in the 1988 World Series, Michael Jordan's "Shot" in 1998, and New England's upset victory over the Rams in the 2002 Super Bowl.

(Tangent: Ugh, that last statement made me throw up a little in my mouth.)

I have a feeling that the author of the article had lots of fun writing it; just check out the last paragraph:
The two gustatory gladiators quickly distanced themselves from the rest of the 17 competitors, processing more beef than a slaughterhouse within the first few minutes. The two had each downed 60 hot dogs with 60 seconds to go when Chestnut, the veins on his forehead extended, put away the final franks to end Kobayashi's reign.
The writer makes the event sound more exciting than the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl! Damn, now I wish I woke up early enough to catch the event live! Oh well, that's what SportsCenter is for, right?

(If it isn't painfully clear, I have ZERO interest in watching the highlights, or a taped broadcast, of the "event.")

That's it for today. Happy blogging!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home