Tuesday, July 10, 2007

iPod Shuffles Are Ridiculous, Interesting "Scam," and People Should BBQ Everyday

So I've got half a watermelon in front of me, and a big spoon.

Who wants to bet that I'll finish off the watermelon by the end of this blog entry?

(The watermelon has been refrigerated, making it even more tempting to finish.)

- I got a brand new toy in the mail today!

(Brand new to me, that is.)

It's an iPod Shuffle!

(It's really my sister's, but I get to play with it first.)

It's pretty interesting how Apple integrated the dock connector into the headphone jack, which also serves to charge the Shuffle. Also, the on/off and shuffle switches are located on the bottom of the Shuffle, while the headphone jack is located on the top. I would have liked a scroll wheel on the Shuffle, but then I realized how unnecessary that would be (considering that the Shuffle does not have a display on it).

I am amazed at how ridiculously small the Shuffle is! Clipped on, I could barely feel the Shuffle on my shirt.

(Off topic: I just got started on that watermelon. I probably won't come anywhere close to finishing it by the end of this blog. Maybe that's a good thing.)

I'm wondering when Apple will create the iPod pico. I can't wait for them to release an iPod that is embedded into your skull, powered by intracellular reactions, and with built-in WiFi for transfer of music.

- (from Consumerist) Here's a typical "scam" that's out there today: you cash a check, which enrolls you in a trial membership with some discount membership/credit protector/etc. After xx days, if you don't cancel, you get charged a monthly fee.

(I say "scam" in quotes because, most of the time, the companies make it fairly obvious that you will be charged after the free trial period. It's up to the consumer to cancel the subscription before the trial ends.)

So what's so interesting about this particular "scam?" Well, it costs $119 for the first year, and $129 thereafter. For your money, here's what you get:
  • 2% cash back on up to $5,000 in purchases ($100)
  • $40 in "seasonal" coupons for use on gas and groceries ($10 each)
  • "Prearranged deals and discounts," which are essentially useless these days (with all the deal sites out there)
So for $119 in year one, and $129 every year thereafter, you have the privilege of earning up to $140 every year! And check out the wording on the cash back refund: "You can look forward to receiving a check for up to $100.00 each year you keep your refund privileges." Sounds like you only get the check if you keep the service active for at least one year...

If making $20 off your $120 (and $10 off your $130 after year one) is your idea of a hot deal, then by all means, go ahead and sign up!

(Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the $9.25 check you get when you initially sign up @@).

- Last night, I grilled rib eye steaks (what else is new?), roma tomatoes, and had a tossed salad and some mashed potatoes and gravy. Unfortunately, my steak was a tad overcooked, and by a tad overcooked, I mean it was medium instead of medium-rare. My sister's steak was perfect, though; a pretty reddish-pink interior, and extremely juicy.

(Off topic: All-Star game color commentator Tim McCarver just said that, if anyone needs a big bat in their lineup, it's the San Diego Padres, because their pitching staff is excellent. Hey moron, what about the Dodgers?)

(Off topic #2: I just found this site, via a Google search for "Tim McCarver." LOL!!!)

The tomatoes were unbelievably tasty too.

I plan on BBQing again, later this week; I've got tons of chicken wings and beef short ribs in the freezer. All I need is some asparagus and some more tomatoes, and I'll be set.

If only I could BBQ every day.

That's all I've got for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home